Monday, September 26, 2005

leadership styles...

This is not so much tech, as it is a reflection on leadership and action. i haven't been online much the past few days as i was travelling for a friend's wedding. the wedding itself was fun, but what was interesting was talking with an old housemate of mine living in chicago. she is working with an organization called the Interfaith Youth Core. Conceptually it is very basic (aren't some of the most powerful ideas, the most basic?) in that it connects religious young people to strengthen their religious identities, foster inter-religious understanding and cooperate to serve the common good. We then spoke about the work that I've been doing in Seattle to inform, connect, and inspire people in their 20s and 30s to take action in our community.

I've known this from living with her, but it struck me again that we have very different strategies for how we go about similar things. She is very much more a hands on person, running and doing. On the other hand, I seem to prefer thinking, research, dialogue and the like. Is one better than the other? I don't think so as long as the strategies actually accomplish what they set out to do. Of course, I've been feeling that itch lately that I've been thinking, learning and the like for awhile...now it's time to put my money where my mouth is.

In part, this blog, and eventual website is a more active version of how I go about things. True, I intend on hosting a site with the intent of playing, experimenting and the like, but it will be towards the goal of using those skills to help others get to where they want to go.

In the mean time, I plan on going to a reception for some giraffe awards tomorrow night at Town Hall. I'll let you know how it goes and whether or not there's any stunning insights to take away.

More info below:

CityClub presents: John Graham
Tuesday, September 27 , 7:00 PM
Founder and president of the Giraffe Heroes Project and author of Stick Your Neck Out: A Street-Smart Guide to Creating Change in Your Community and Beyond, John Graham and local heroes about the rewards and risks of civic participation. This is the culminating event of Civic Participation Month. Dessert will be served. Downstairs at Town Hall, enter on Seneca Street.
$7 - $10 Tickets & info
Tickets are $10/$7 under 25. Call 206/682-7395 or visit www.seattlecityclub.org for tickets and more information.

No comments: